Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What A Character

The fictional character that popped into my head as soon as I read the question would have to be Annemarie Wilcox from the novel Shug and although it's not exactly an impressive read that character definitely struck a chord with me.  Annemarie is a very real and honest depiction of a pre-teen which was what I was when I read Shug for the first time.  Annemarie struggles with the want to be older while still holding onto her childhood and throughout the novel tries to find a balance between the two.  I have revisited this book probably a hundred times because even though I know what's going to happen I get caught up in the story and find myself back in the same mindset that I was in when I first read it.  Annemarie has a lot of qualities that make her interesting like her imperfections which include overreacting and occasionally acting immaturely which we all deal with from time to time.  Something that I really enjoy about her character is her resilience, things don't go the way she plans or thinks but she takes that head on and faces the new challenges.  She's brave and fearless without being your typical hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment